Friday, September 23, 2011

A Good Day

Whew!  I finally have a moment to sit down and write (although I did promise I would make chocolate chip cookies this afternoon!).  Dani took Ale to get his brother at school and I have the house to myself for a moment.  So many, many things to do, but I just need a breather.  For a moment. 

Alejandro has been amazing today.  Full of energy.  The 2 days off between the first and second half of this round of chemo and the fact that we actually got the kids on a more "school-like" schedule really show.  Today through Tuesday will be Irinotecan alone and Ale tends to tolerate it better than the combo Irinotecan/Temozolamide.  And by tolerate I mean that he has even more energy.  His Nintendo DS didn´t even come out today.  We played dominoes, go-fish, Uno and another game while he received the chemo.  And his appetite is great too.  At luch, after getting home from the hospital (and the park!!! I really don't know how he does it!), he had a small lamb chop and 4 pork cutlets!  His body seems to crave protein these days.  I'm not all that comfortable with so much meat (I'm sort of a vegetarian myself- although I do eat fish) but it's so hard with the chemo.  If his body wants meat, well, meat it is.

As for everything else...  We heard back from Greifswald.  They have their review sessions on Mondays so they will be contacting us by Tuesday regarding their decision.  I have yet to send out the tumor sample.  Will do so on Monday.  I had to call CHOP a few times for help on the paperwork.  I think this is the first time the genetics department has had to deal with an individual.  Thankfully, they are all so kind and so willing to help.  It makes the process much less stressful. 

Although at times it really catches up to me- do I spend time with my children, or make phone calls, or send out reports and e-mails, or eat, or sleep, or cook, or wash dishes and clothes, or go to the hospital, or take Carlos to school, or pick him up (thankfully, Dani does this because it tends to upset me going there), or track down doctors, or juggle possible treatment options, or make chocolate chip cookies??!!  If I stop to think about it it's too much.  So, I plug along and hang onto days like today that, hospital and chemo apart, just seem normal.  With two young boys who love to horse around and play outside, seemingly oblivios to everything else arround them.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. I finally did make the cookies. Just got done a moment ago!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete